Why Alive HR?
The former HRart is now Alive HR. Why did I change the name, inquiring minds want to know. And why does my URL not match the name of my blog? Good questions, and I’ll get to the whole kamaletalent thing another time. But for the moment, I want to focus on just the new blog title.
As human resources professionals, we often talk about passion in the workplace. We want engaged employees. As we interview, we seek out energy and excitement that will sustain an employee during the tough or tedious times. We want a workforce that is alive.
By the same token, the workplace also need HR professionals to be alive. Employees need leadership to be awake, astute and on the move.
Sometimes I wonder, though, if we forget that the need for engagement goes both ways. In my opinion, passion starts with us, Human Resource professionals and leaders. We can’t be disconnected, sluggish, negative, complacent jaded, resistant to learning and change–and then expect employees who act in opposite ways.
Here are some things that make me feel alive:
- The perfect interview or resume. Not the perfect meeting or the perfect document, but interaction from the person I know is perfect for the role, our company, the team, the opportunity. Walking on Sunshine starts to play in my mind like an HR movie soundtrack!
- Similarly, meeting or talking with Rockstar talent. I go home on such a high, singing I Gotta Feeling!
- Riding my motor scooter to work–exhilarating!
- Learning something. Anything. Social media, mediation, WordPress, beginning HTML.
- Helping employees and managers work out difficult issues. Feels so good!
- Knowing that what I do makes a positive difference to our clientele, our friends who have intellectual and other developmental disabilities.
These moments give my job meaning and energy to sustain me through the less exciting times, all the difficult decisions and conversations.
What makes you come alive?